Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Brothers & Sisters

I was watching Season 2 of Brothers & Sisters last night til really late. This morning when Lucas came looking for me, I thought it was still night (when it was actually early morning but because our electric shutters do not allow even a smidgen of light through, its all dark in the apartment and one can easily lose track of time that way) and brought him into our bed for more sleep. Before I know it, Fred hops out of bed and told me its 11.15 in the morning!!!! We had a wonderful sleep in, and are feeling rested and happy :)

Anyway, back to the series - being a mother, I worry that Lucas will grow up all alone. For sure, he will not have any first cousins here as Gilles will not be getting married or having any kids. And as I watch the series with envy (because to me that's exactly how a family should be, full of support and love and close camaraderie and that's what I want for Lucas) I find myself wishing things could be different.
I grew up in a dysfunctional family and I do not want that for Lucas at all. But I now realize that, what I cannot get from my family, I get it in abundance from my friends. My friends have become my family. I realized that during my last trip home - I am indeed lucky to have my cousin Allan, and most importantly I have really, really good friends who are true.

But for Lucas, who will grow up here in France, he will only have Fred & I and his grandma. Fred is also from a dysfunctional family of sorts (its proven that one from a dysfunctional family inadvertently attracts the same) and is not close to his cousins at all - his aunt lives less than 30 minutes away from us and we see her once a year, so for Lucas to meet up with his cousins once a year is not good enough to build a strong bond.
I would like Lucas to have childhood friends like I have, where years can pass with us not seeing each other yet when we meet again, we are still close and its as if no time have passed at all!

I wish we could give him a sibling or two or even three to grow up with but time is not on our side. If we can afford it I would have liked to adopt another child. But for now, I am glad that Lucas has gotten back into contact with his best buddy from the garderie, Plume and he has his 2 constant friends Matheo & Ixchel to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment