Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, November 16, 2009

Friendship foibles

Maybe I am getting old as I am beginning to find that my level of tolerance is pretty low for someone who should be trying hard to make friends instead of alienating them. But that said, I cannot and absolutely will not stand for meaness in that friend even though the remarks could have been made carelessly and without thought.
A friendship that I'd hoped would develop into a close one came to a halt recently after I went out with this person twice since we met and after getting to know her through my french class.

At first I thought I could tolerate that she has maybe low self esteem and has the need to boast ALL the time. This is one person who takes advantage of every situation in class and during break time to tell anyone within hearing distance how rich her husband is, about her 7 bedroom house and her new yacht that they bought cash as her husband doesn't like to take credit from a bank, about her 55 pairs of shoes (none of them Manolo Blahnik or Jimmy Choos or Loubotins..., I asked and she seemed clueless)and about how she has never worked a single day in her life.
She boasts of her "wonderful" life among the students some of whom are refugees and poor immigrants who cannot even afford to pay for the bus fare to come to class. So I was telling myself that maybe she is just tactless and I have tried to tell her that its not nice to boast, but she still does it.
Last week, we were learning words that describe the characteristics and qualities of a person and when the word "modeste" came and our teacher was explaining the meaning, you hear her quip "that's my husband, he so rich but he never shows it" and someone whispered "but not the wife"!!!!!

Besides that she can also be downright mean, saying our Portugese classmate is fat because she loves hamburgers (out loud, with the poor Portugese girl sitting a few seats away). When I shushed her she said again in a loud voice that the girl doesn't understand English, but I saw the expression on the poor girl's face.
Today, during the coffee break I was talking to an Armenian girl Rosanna who loves wearing skin tight clothes and found that she makes most of her clothes herself. I thought that was very clever and I inspected the stitching on her black vest and it was so well done, I happened to mention it to the meanie who immediately said "well, she's never going to make any clothes for me cos her clothes are so ugly" Rosanna's clothes are not ugly at all, she just likes to wear black - black Tshirt, black leather pants, black vest, black knee high boots...)
She also told Elizabeth off when Elizabeth asked us where she could find some cheap boots to buy (Elizabeth's husband is unemployed). She told Elizabeth that her husband always tells her to buy quality and expensive things instead of cheapies. Elizabeth and I simply ignored her comment and I advised her to go to the Sunday markets for really nice, leather boots that cost between 20 to 50 euros.

On the other hand, I like talking to Russian Margarita, the english ladies Lucy and Philippa and Luseanne and Nadine. The meanie seems possessive of our friendship and hates it when I mix with the others instead of sticking to her but honestly it doesn't bother me. During today's break she sat all by herself until Elizabeth went to join her.

So what started off as a nice friendship is about to be demoted into acquaintanceship since I realized that I really do not like her at all and I really can't get close to someone whom I dislike no matter how I long for friendship. I'd like to think that with time I will find some really good friends whom I can call up for a nice chat or have coffee together and the occassional cook out or the odd shopping spree like my friends in KL who I still miss like mad...

No comments:

Post a Comment