Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, June 14, 2010

Sleeptime

Today I decided to keep Lucas at home with me instead of leaving him at the garderie this morning. He has a slight cold and cough but I thought it would be nice to just rest at home on such a cold and rainy day. We made pancakes for breakfast (Lucas likes his pancakes with nutella, of course) and then Lucas ate his peanut butter sandwich and chocolat chaud for lunch.
In between, I managed to do 3 loads of laundry while Lucas watched Playhouse Disney live on stage on YouTube!

As I type now, I am hoping that Lucas will fall asleep for his nap - I accidentally woke him up when I wanted to put a blanket on him and now he is refusing to go back to sleep.
I noticed that for the past couple of days now, Lucas is not napping so much anymore. However, in the babycenter articles, it is recommended that toddlers at Lucas' age get at least 12-14 hours of sleep a day, which he is not getting and that makes him overtired and irritated. Lucas always gets cranky around 630 p.m. on a daily basis and then he gets hyperactive before bedtime. We have moved up his sleeptime at night to 8 p.m sharp, and even then he will play and talk in his cot til around 830 p.m before he really falls asleep. He wakes up at 630 a.m, but in between bouts of sleep, he still wakes up a couple of times at least.
Maybe its because he is on medication for his cold and cough which is why he is waking up a few times a night.
I hope that after tonight (his last day of meds) he will sleep through the night, as he did before the nightmares and medication...
Getting enough sleep is important for a young child for many reasons, from restoring energy to building brain connections (not to mention giving me a much needed break).

No comments:

Post a Comment