Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, August 24, 2009

Weekend drive

Lucas & I went out to town last Saturday. We took a bus and Lucas was really good :) He was babbling and pointing out at the cars throughout the 15 minute journey. The great thing about buses and the drivers here are that the bus drivers will wait for you to take baby out of the stroller, fold the stroller, climb onto the bus, fumble through your bag for 1 euro and take a seat before they start driving onto their next stop. This time the bus driver even helped me hold my stroller while I looked for 1 euro!
In town, Lucas and I walked along the shops and we stopped at the City Hall to witness a wedding. We went shopping for safety scissors for Lucas and other stuff for me. We were stopped by a hen party, collecting money for their night out by "selling" chocolates, candies and condoms! The bridesmaids dressed the bride up to look like a zombie, and with her smeared lippy and grey pallored face she looked pretty scary! On the other side of the road was her partner's stag party, also trolling the street looking for money. He was on a rickety bicycle, a top hat and glasses with eyeballs hanging out. Overall, that Saturday afternoon out was nice, with the carnival atmosphere around town as Tarbes was in the midst of holding its annual Tango party. There were clowns, musicians and people walking on stilts, dancers dressed up in fishnet tights and lace.

On Sunday I had my driving lesson which ended up with me driving all the way to Sassis, which is about 45 minutes away, on a windy narrow road! Thank God I didn't encounter a bus, as the narrow roads are actually 2 way and there were plenty of cyclists on both sides of the road. I had to keep below the speed limit, make sure I was not off center, and make sure I didn't get too close to the cyclists. I tried to overtake a white van that was going really slow on the road, and when I was parallel to the van, it suddenly started to speed up and of course I had to "step on it" to overtake the van. Just after I managed to overtake that van, the driver accelerated and overtook me again and then went back to his 40 kms/hr... The van later turned into a gypsy camping ground. We do not wanto antagonize gypsies who are here for their annual pilgrimage - just last week in Nai, a 19 year old got stabbed to death by a bunch of gypsies over some dumb drunken argument.

Lucas' new words "merci" instead of thank you and "turtle" :)

1 comment:

  1. You know you can exchange your Malaysian driver license with French one? The exchange is free and you have to do it during the first year you are here. You can do it at the Prefecture. But of course it's ok if you are taking lessons so that you are comfortable to drive on the other side.... :-)

    ReplyDelete