Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, May 14, 2010

Lucas' sleep issues

At 31 months, Lucas suddenly developed sleeping problems! He now must call out to me over and over again before he has a little cry and then falls asleep - for naps and nightime. Even though we have pushed his sleeping time to 9 p.m now, he is still reluctant.

Lucas usually wakes up at 7.30 a.m the past month since we changed the daylight saving timing; and his normal practise is to climb into our bed and watch Mickey on TV. But his 7.30 timing kept regressing earlier and earlier and last week, he kept waking up at 2.30 a.m asking to climb into our bed.
I have to admit I brought him into the bed a couple of times when he woke at 2.30 - which was a mistake because with Lucas, you give him an inch - he will take a hundred miles! But the neighbors upstairs were having some really loud arguments which woke Lucas as they were screaming at each other above Lucas' room (thin walls :P)
So after a few times he started automatically waking up at 2 am asking to come to bed. When I refuse, he starts crying and screaming - the crying could go on for 40 minutes... yes, I tried to ignore his crying hoping he will fall back asleep. (payback for my neighbours upstairs ;)  )

Last night was the first night he finally relents quietly and goes back to sleep after I talk to him and give him a hug. But he still woke me up at 2a.m, 4a.m and finally at 5 a.m.

Lucas is also extremely manja with me these past 2 weeks. He comes crying to me over any little boo-boo and doesn't want his papa. He won't leave me alone for even a toilet break. And when he climbs into our bed, he insists on being on my side of the bed and I have to sleep next to him or else he will not fall asleep. In our queen sized bed, its been difficult, both my boys take up space and I have been sleeping in the day bed - but I have to wait til Lucas is deeply asleep. A few times I even tried to put Lucas back into his own bed but he woke up. I tried giving Lucas my pillow in his bed - he throws it out.
So now I have to wake up everytime he calls and get him to sleep again - in his own bed. Waking up is not the problem, but it takes me ages to fall back asleep again. I have had to catch naps in the afternoon when Lucas is sleeping but today, he napped for less than an hour :P

No comments:

Post a Comment