Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, October 2, 2009

5th month

Lucas & I have now been in France for 5 months. Time really flies! It seems like I'd just left Malaysia. I miss being in KL just as much, but seeing how Lucas has grown and bloomed, I realize that leaving my job (and the financial freedom that comes with it) was the right thing to do. However, leaving KL altogether... let's just say I am in a totally different life here in Tarbes. Its hard without any parental/friends support and what I had in KL, I will never get it here.
My new friend Elizabeth invited Fred & I over to her place for dinner - unfortunately we have had to turn her down as we do not go out at night anymore, since Lucas is in bed by 8 pm and we have no one to babysit. And I really do not trust any 18 year old who's looking for babysitting jobs to supplement their driving lessons. Its hard getting my MIL to help out even tho' she's retired. She's selfish with her time and asking her for a couple of hours of babysitting is like pulling teeth without novocaine. Furthermore, the last time she agreed to babysit, she flaked out the night before saying that she forgot and she made other plans!
My MIL lives a mere 10 minutes away and she doesn't bother stopping by to see her grandson. Fred has always taken Lucas on the bicycle after work to see her. Well, no more. i told Fred that if she can't be bothered to see Lucas, I do not want him bringing Lucas to her. She is able bodied, she drives around, sometimes she passes our place without stopping! Its ridiculous - this woman doesn't have her maternal streak in her at all. Even her friend Martine has offered to babysit (but since we do not know her well, we declined).
My MIL prefers to pay a total stranger 8 euro an hour to babysit her grandson than to spend time with him! Seriously, she offered when she flaked out the last time. She said, instead of her having to babysit every Thursday morning from 9-12 (as i have my class) she will pay for someone to take him.

Yesterday I didn't make it to class in the morning again, but Lucas & I had a nice morning. It was raining when we woke up so Luc & I sent Fred to work. At about 10.30, the rain stopped so I bundled Lucas in the car and drove to the Thursday market at Halle Mercadieu. I prefer the Thursday markets as there are a lot more stalls and only the Thursday market has fresh produce and food. We bought olive bread (yummy!) and roasted chicken and Vietnamese rolls, apples, fresh veges and flannel PJs (ugly colors and designs but warm....)

Next Thursday my French teacher says we will be going out for an excursion, to the new mosque (since not many people know what a mosque is...) or to the cinema. Next Thursday my little Boo's is going to be 2 years old! Fred has the day off, so will bring Lucas to the parc. I will attempt to make birthday cupcakes. On Sunday we will have a little birthday picnic for Lucas at the parc. This year won't be as "yit lau" as last year since Lucas' friends are all in KL and I have not gotten to know the mothers at the creche yet.

So, in our 5 months in Tarbes, I have now managed to drive (driving in Tarbes is really crazy - a normal 2 lane road is made into a 4 car road since both sides, cars are parked and I get really scared trying to manouver my way through), Lucas has enrolled in a creche, I have started my french lessons and I have started to make friends. We are exploring Tarbes together - I try to take a drive everyday either to the parc or to Jardin massey or to a shopping mall. Lucas has started talking - yesterday he said "au revoir". I have a feeling he will be talking more french than english in another 6 months. Lucas has also started eating normal food, though he still doesn't want any veges (I have to mix the peas and carrots into his cereal...)

I am going to attempt to wean Lucas off his pacifier.... wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Wow your MIL is pretty amazing.

    You have achieved a lot in 5 months! I was only driving after 2 years in France, too afraid for the "giving priority to the right" rules.

    Good luck with the attempt!

    ReplyDelete