Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 10, 2009

FJT & Civic formation

This morning as I left for my Civic training, I was worried about leaving Lucas behind with Roger and later with my MIL. I was rushing around straightening the apartment (when you have a toddler, there is always toys lying everywhere and food and clothes on the floor) and forgot to have breaky. It wasn't too cold when I left, but the temperature dropped by break time. I wasn't sure then if I was suffering from a hypoglycemic episode since I skipped breakfast and therefore was feeling cold but even after lunch it was freezing. In my class, I wasn't the only fool who dressed light, so most of us were huddling inside the classroom most of the day.

My Civic Formation was held in the FJT, which is a government subsidised housing. For anyone who cannot afford a place to stay, they can walk into FJT which consists of dorm rooms for a room to rent at an outrageously minimal price. I expected the FJT to be just a row of rooms like a backpacker's hotel. I was so wrong! The place is really nice! When I walked in, on my right there is a cafe with cafe macchiato at 90 cents a cup, nice comfy sofas, free magazines, wifi and best of all, a pool table! The patio opens outside to a sitting area for the inhabitants to smoke outside comfortably. On nice warm evenings they can dine al fresco there. After the patio, there is a huge garden for football games, and a rock climbing wall! I won't be surprised if there was a gym inside the building too.

We had lunch at the cafeteria - the food was damn good!!!!! For the inhabitants they pay one low price of 5 or 6 euro and they get to choose bread, 4 different types of pudding, flavored and natural yoghurt, chocolate mousse, fruit (kiwi, orange, banana, pineapple, apple), egg salad, garden salad, tuna salad, endive salad, aubergine, pasta, salmon & meat filled courgette.
I had pineapple, garden salad, aubergine, pasta and the meat filled courgette which was heavenly!

As I was not familiar with the area FJT was in, Fred drove me there before he left for work. I thought I could easily catch a bus home. When the course finished, I was shivering in my wool pullover as I waited at the bus stop with another Moroccan girl. Luckily another new friend's husband took pity on us and offered us a lift to the central bus stop. When I arrived at the stop, I noticed I was the only fool there with open toed shoes. The rest of the people were all bundled up in their leather coats and boots and had thick woolen scarfs! I contemplated going to the shops nearby to buy a nice warm scarf but didn't want to miss my bus so I stayed put. Just my luck that the agricultural convoy decided to block off the main roads for a farmers' strike.
The farmers have been on strike in France for the unfair low pricing they are getting for their produce. Milk has been poured away by the truckful in fields by milk producers as the prices they are getting for their milk has decreased while the price of milk for the public has gone up! Fruit producers have also been giving or throwing away fruits for the same reason.



Back to my civic formation - one important thing I learnt is that in France, EVERYTHING is provided for the people. Free heathcare, subsidised childcare, subsidised rent, free education, unemployment benefits, zero interest housing loans. The list goes on. And I also found out that in my region, if I get a job offer but do not have transport, the region is obligated to fund my transport - either public transport or if where I work has none, I will get a rental car - all paid for. France is truly a country for its people!

No comments:

Post a Comment