Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, October 26, 2009

Daylight saving & Gilles' visit

Daylight saving started yesterday. We had to turn time back 1 hour, so I guess we guess we gained an hour. Lucas must have thought it was his lucky day, going to bed at 9 pm according to his body clock!!!!
Last night we had dinner at 6 pm as we were not used to the change in time yet, and the sun set completely at 630pm. This morning Lucas woke up at 730 am (which is actually 830 am according to our body clock)

As the apartment is so small and we have an acute lack of closet space, this morning I started to put away the summer clothes to make space for the warmer clothes. I put away shoes that I will not be wearing for the next 6 months or so, my heeled shoes are put way back in storage as I do not know if I will ever wear them again. I am so used to wearing flats now, I doubt I can walk in my 3 and 4 inch heels anymore.

Lucas & I are on "holiday" today. We decided to keep Lucas away from creche for a while since he's been sick. As for me, I am on a 2 week break for All Souls Day celebration. In France
Fetes de la Toussaint is taken seriously. The living will bring flowers to the cemetary and some drive hundreds of kms to get there. School is out for 2 weeks nationwide. Like the chinese, flowers for the cemetary here are crysanthemums as well. In France one must never give crysanthemums as presents as the flowers are only for dead people! Another flower for the cemetary is the Cyclamen. I thought this flower was so pretty and nearly bought a pot for my MIL to thank her for taking care of Lucas! Fortunately, my teacher taught us all about Fetes de la Toussaint before I could commit that faux pas!

Yesterday we had Gilles, Fred's brother over for lunch. Gilles is Fred's younger brother who is under the care of the government for his schizophrenia. He has been sick since he was 13. With his meds, Gilles leads a normal life but 3 months back, Gilles had a relapse when he stopped taking his meds and had to be committed back into the hospital. Gilles always reminds me of Shaggy in Scooby Doo as he is tall and skinny. He appeared a little unkempt and Fred wanted to cut his hair for him but Gilles refused. He'd cut his hair himself and it looked like he'd used a bowl over his head and cut the hair around it. He didn't seem too well yesterday and was not very communicative. Fred's mother is trying to get Gilles transfered to Tarbes so that she can be nearer to him. Gilles has his own apartment in Pau and is being taken care of by someone appointed by the government. But obviously that someone has not been checking up on Gilles for some time or else they would have alerted the hospitals when he stopped taking his meds. Gilles said he didn't like the woozy effect the meds had on him. We also found out later that Gilles' best friend had died in a motorbike accident a few days before he stopped taking his meds.

Lucas is now singing along with Barney, humming the right notes so I know that he's not tone deaf :) He's finishing Barney's sentences like he knows what Barney is going to say next.
Today I am going to try to feed him baked beans...

No comments:

Post a Comment