Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Urgences

Yesterday Lucas was sickly and hardly ate his food, neither did he want his milk. He started to run a temperature by noon and I began to take his temp every 2 hours. I also attempted to give him paracetamol for babies but as he was struggling so much, I only managed to get him to drink a little bit. By the time Fred came back, Lucas was tired and running a temperature of 38.6 (or that was what I thought since I took his temperature via his armpit). We managed to get Lucas to take some paracetamol and put him to bed.
Lucas woke up crying at 10 pm and this time he felt really hot and I was getting scared so I asked Fred to take us to the hospital. He was reluctant as he says the hospitals here are for emergencies and not for fevers! (not like Malaysia where I can drive Lucas into Pantai Medical Center anytime 24-7) Fred wanted to put Lucas in the bath but I insisted so he drove us to the Urgences.
Lucky for us it was a quiet night, and we were attended to immediately. As we were registering Lucas, he started to throw up. When they ushered us into the room, the nurse gave Fred a rectal thermomether and told him to take Lucas temperature (I thought the nurses should be doing that...) Anyway Lucas' temp was 40 degrees and climbing. The doctor immediately gave Fred a suppository (again, isn't the nurse supposed to do that????)
Lucas had to go through some prodding and he also had a chest x-ray as the paediatrician wanted to rule out pneumonia.
Then the nurse came in with a urine pouch and again asked Fred to disinfect Lucas' groin area so she could put on the pouch for him as they wanted to do a urine test. Lucas' fever went down by 1230 am, but we were still stuck in the hospital waiting for Lucas to pee. Finally at 2 am, the doctor came and gave us a slip of paper to deliver Lucas' urine to the labs ourselves as Lucas still hasn't peed into the pouch.
After we got home and changed Lucas, as I was putting him to bed, he peed - into the pouch and it overflowed onto me. So, after changing both Lucas and I again, it was almost 3 am when we went to bed.
Lucas woke me up at 5 am this morning, vomiting on the bed with a raging fever. I had to put 2 suppositories into him, 1 for the fever and the other for his vomiting. But looking back I think the vomiting was good as he expelled a lot of phlegm.
When Fred left for work at 8, Lucas' fever was still raging on. I waited until 10 to administer another suppository and Lucas went to sleep finally.
My MIL came over when she heard Lucas was sick and offered to take the urine to the lab and go to the pharmacie for us as she didn't want Lucas to go out as he is now susceptible to all kinds of viruses, especially the H1N1.

At 2 pm, Lucas' fever was still going on strong so I put in another suppository and then at 230 I ran a lukewarm bath for him. After his bath, Lucas finished a bottle of milk - finally! He's only been drinking water til now. At 4 pm he also took some cereal :)

Tomorrow, Lucas won't be going to creche or even out anywhere. I intend to keep him indoors for the next week or so til he's fully recovered. Its scary when your baby gets sick. In KL I had doctors at my disposal anytime of the day. But here in France it doesn't seem that way tho' now I know I can insist on going to the hospital if need to.

1 comment:

  1. Roni,

    Aiyaaa, must be the cold weather over there. Hope baby Lucas is much better now. Will keep him in prayer. Hope you and Fred are holding up strong too. :)

    Sunny

    ReplyDelete