Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

How to feed medication to a strong willed toddler who refuses to swallow or vomits out all the meds?

We are having trouble trying to feed meds to our 25 month old headstrong toddler. I have a feeling that his cough and cold keeps reccuring because he never finishes his antibiotics, not because we do not give him his meds but its virtually impossible to get our toddler to swallow!
I have tried to disguise his meds and slip it into his milk or food but to no avail - Lucas seems to have superior sense of smell and could somehow smell the meds even without tasting the food, refusing the food with a loud resounding "NO"! I have tried to give him his meds with a spoon instead of the medicine syringe. Still "NO"! I thought that since at this age, he may want some control and may want to feed himself, so I gave him the medical syringe and told him to do it himself - he refused to even touch the syringe and ran off instead.
I hate having to restrain him and force feed him his meds but Lucas leaves us no choice and his health is more important to us, so everyday, twice a day Fred has to hold Lucas while I try to make him open his mouth for me to put the medical syringe into his cheek pocket. Even then he refuses to swallow the meds and spits it out. Just yesterday, I made the mistake of feeding him Advil less than an hour after his milk and he promptly threw up all over me - some of the Advil went into my eye!

Last night I went on the internet to find out if other parents out there may have a secret tip or something and one parent gave this advice - blow gently on baby's face while feeding the meds to make them swallow. I tried it on Lucas (aiya, I am also down with a cold and cough but getting Lucas to take his antibiotics trumped this fact) and managed to get him to swallow most of his antibiotics and Advil. Last night, Lucas and I slept through the night AND for the first time in 25 months, I slept through until 10 am this morning! And we would not have woken up if Fred hadn't called...

1 comment:

  1. hugs, I think it gets better as they grow older, a couple of months ago, my hubby did a lengthy explanation to Max.. he said that if he wants to get better, then he has to take the meds.. strangely, it kinda worked after that, Max stopped struggling and swallowed every drop.

    SM

    ReplyDelete