Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

SDF

Now that the temperature is dropping steadily to sub zero, I worry about the homeless people out in the streets. Where will they go to keep warm? How can they survive such harsh weather? In Tarbes, everytime I go to the Centreville, I meet the same few homeless people begging by the shops. At first I was a bit fearful of them as most of them are young with dreadlocks and tattoos, and huge dogs; but I have found that they are polite and respectful to everyone, and do not agress anyone in the streets. I always wondered why such young people do not try to get a job and get off the streets but Fred told me that in France, to get a job, you need a fixed address. The homeless people in France are known as SDF which means sans domicile fixe (without a permanent address). Its a catch 22 situation for them - without a permanent place to live they can get a job and without a job they can't afford a place to live.


A lot of the SDF people drink alcohol to keep their bodies warm, which is not good as their bodies inadvertently start freezing and they do not realize it because the alcohol numbs their senses which in turn can cause death.
Fred assures me that there are soup kitchens who will provide them with a hot meal and there are associations out there who will provide shelter. But there are some of the SDF who choose not to go to the associations and prefer to sleep in their tents with sleeping bags and their dogs who keep them warm.

So I decided that instead of sending out pretty Christmas cards this year with our photos, I will use the money to buy polaire blankets for the SDF in Tarbes.
After all, Christmas is a time for giving.

1 comment: