Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chestnuts

I just got a phone call from my new friend Angel ;) That was the very first call I received that is not from Fred or a telemarketeer. I was pretty excited to be talking on the phone and making plans to meet for coffee with our kids.
Its a cloudy day today but I doubt it will rain. I will be meeting my friends Angel & Elizabeth in Simply Food after lunch, and then I hope to do some shopping in town.

Yesterday while Fred & Lucas were playing at the slides at the L'Ormeau playground, I picked chestnuts that have fallen from the trees in the playground. In Malaysia chestnuts are not cheap, and I was happy to be able to pick the chestnuts here for free. We came home with my bag bulging with the nuts.
As we didn't have charcoal, I decided to boil some chestnuts in salt water. After an hour, the nuts were ready to be eaten. Imagine our disappointment - the nuts were bitter! I had to throw the whole lot away.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Roni,

    Hello. I found your site by conincidence on Bee Ean's blog. I was happy to find yet another Malaysian in similar situation as me :). Too bad that most of us live in different corners of France :(. Anyway, regarding these bitter "chestnuts" that you have just experienced.. My husband has told me several times that there is apparently 2 main but different types of "chestnuts" found easily in France. One is called "Marron" and the other, "Chataigne". One is edible, the other is not. But don't ask me which one is which! (He's not around at the moment for me to absolutely verify with!). I guess the ones you find on the streets are generally not to be eaten. On a brighter note - have you tried Creme de Marron de L'Ardèche by Clement FAUGIER? If you haven't, they can be easily found at any supermarket. Mmm... some sort of French "sekaya"! You can do lots of things with a can of those! Oh, come winter, look for their famous "Marron Glacé". Good too!

    I have been skimming through your blog entries and found plenty of things alike, except that for me, even after of 4 years of living here, my French is getting nowhere! You're doing good by taking up those classes. I wish I did that at the beginning. Now, I just don't have the luxury of time with 2 mischievous kids! I am also happy that you have made an effort to make new friends where you are. As for me, the calls I get are still from my husband and the telemarketeer! I still turn to my friends outside of France, but have not found the opportunity to make new ones around my area (especially ones that can speak English!).

    Oh, and yes, no more huge shopping malls to loiter around in and no maid to manage the chores.. :(

    Hang in there! We will all make it through this alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought chestnuts were poisonous when raw or something? Just be careful ok? Loves you!
    YOur parcel is on its way since ytd! :)

    ReplyDelete