Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Multinational classmates

The past few days have been hectic! We are waking up earlier to get ready, get Lucas ready and leaving for our respective schools. I drop Lucas off at creche, he's always the first to arrive cos mama doesn't want to be late for class.
My new class is FULL, there are about 25 students (I say about 25 as some students were absent and some left halfway thru' class). This group has students from South Africa, England, Fiji Island (husband is playing rugby for Tarbes), Azerbaijan, Poland (very unfriendly!), Portugal, Mexico, Nigeria, Armenia, Moravia and Belarussia. The students in this class are not as friendly as the other class, and even among themselves they have their own clicque. When I walked in the first day, the Eastern Europeans were all seated at one end of the room, and the English speaking students were in the other end. Yours truly ended up sitting next to the Fijian (Lucy) and the Nigerian (Angel).

Today I made a new friend - Elizabeth, the Mexican and Andre the Portugese. Andre didn't really talk to me - I think he was a bit shy but he did make an effort to "break the border" by coming over to the English corner and sitting next to me. Also he ended up copying all the exercises from me - maybe that's why he wanted to sit next to me :)
Elizabeth has a 3 year old and arrived in France about the same time as I did. She speaks very little English and we ended up speaking to each other in French instead, which I really prefer as i find that when I am trying to speak to the Eastern Europeans in French we actually learn faster.

Yesterday I left class at noon to go pick Lucas, but neglected to take into account the traffic and also I got a bit lost so I arrived at the creche only at 12.25 pm. I got reprimanded, albeit gently but I felt really bad for being late. So this morning Fred wrote an apology note for me to take to the creche and I left my class early together with Angel who had to pick up her daughter from school and I arrived at the creche at 12.

Ever since Lucas started creche he has changed so much, and so fast! This morning, knowing he was going to go to creche, he was cooperative and I got him ready in a flash without any chasing. Today when he saw me at noon, he wanted me to see him playing with his friends. Also, he has learnt to play by himself when he's at home with me. He also picks up words in french and is learning to eat more solids. Today he finished his macaroni for lunch! And he used the spoon most of the time! He also sat down throughout lunch! I was so amazed and happy!
When I gave him an apple slice he said "apple" (!!!!) Lucas also says "flower" and is still trying to say "butterfly" and "elephant".

1 comment:

  1. Last time in my class the East Europeans were the majority too. Maybe it is easier for them to get a residency here compare to other countries.

    ReplyDelete