Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lucas getting into mischief

Lucas is getting up to more and more mischief everyday! He has now learnt the art of opening doors so we cannot keep him out of the bathroom and the kitchen by just closing the door anymore. Furthermore he knows when he's doing something he should not be doing, and he will go to a corner to hide.

Yesterday my heart nearly stopped when I realized that Lucas has sneaked off while I was doing the dishes in the kitchen. I found Lucas in the bedroom with a steak knife in his hand - Fred left the knife on the table, an oversight on Fred's part that would have been costly if God hasn't been looking out for Lucas. I was so scared at the sight I checked him to see if he'd stabbed himself. Luckily he was distracted by the sight of his lovey on the bed!

Fred is still not very diligent with Lucas - I have to constantly nag at him not to leave his drinking glass on the table or his nicorette gum or his wine opener. Lucas on the other hand is swift as the wind and crafty as a fox when it comes to things he should not be touching in the first place.

Today he ran off to a dark corner with a pen and quickly tasted the pen before I took it away. He also likes to take the TV remote and take the batteries out - again in his little corner.
When he thinks I'm not looking, he will go to the kitchen drawer and lick all the spoons and forks before putting them back. He also likes to play with the onions and today he ran to his corner with an onion skin firmly lodged in his mouth.
He is also now tall enough to reach for Fred's espresso machine - another danger as Lucas keeps trying to pull the handle. I have told Fred again to remove the handle thingy that is sticking out of the machine after he finishes making his coffee or else one day Lucas will succeed in pulling the whole contraption down.

It would seem that nothing is spared in this apartment where Lucas is concerned. Everything is fair game to him - the tomatoes, the potatoes, the light switch, the laptop, the TV, the drawers, mama's jars and bottles of cosmetics, the shoes and the shoe rack, the broom, the hot stove, the pots and pans... the list just keeps growing bigger and bigger.
And its not that we have not told him no and pulled him away. He knows he must not touch, especially the hot stove, the washing machine and the TV, but it seems that the more we tell him not to do it, the more determined he is to touch it!
I have tried telling him No very firmly, to giving him a replacement so that he would not touch the forbidden. In the case of the TV, I have tried switching off the TV when he goes near the TV. I have even tried to smack his little hand - didn't work, he laughed at me instead. In the earlier days, all I had to do was remove him from the room and close the door. Now I can't even close the door! And Lucas is not even 2 yet - what will happen when he enters his terrible two??????

No comments:

Post a Comment