Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 8, 2010

A bout of gastro

Our spa plans had to take a backseat as Fred & I had really bad food poisoning Saturday night. It was so bad that Fred was more or less comatose, and when I was not asleep, I was vomiting and feeling so dizzy I couldn't get up. Poor Lucas had to more or less fend for himself all of Sunday. We made ourselves get up on Sunday and literally crawled out of bed to change Lucas, give him his milk and cereal. But we slept through lunch and didn't wake up til past 3 p.m. All day Lucas was playing around the bed, reading and singing, amusing himself while we slept. He managed to push a chair against the pantry and got food (cereal, biscuits and bread) for lunch - all by himself. Fred says we are horrible parents for neglecting Lucas but the truth of the matter is - when you are away from friends and family, in time of need, there is really no one to help.
And even when my MIL knew we were both sick, she didn't come over with chicken soup or anything at all. Its times like this I really, really wish to be with my family where being a family means just that - love, comfort, support.
When I was in KL, besides mom & dad and my sister, I had wonderful neighbours who were kind and thoughtful. I could always rely on Chrissy to make some porridge or soup and Debbie for some fried rice or sandwich. Even Chrissy's housemate Moi would have cooked something for us if she knew we were so sick we could not get out of bed.
My MIL came over today and I told her (nicely) that Lucas was left on his own and he managed to find his own lunch. I hope she felt bad and I think maybe she did, as she stayed with us all afternoon. But when push comes to shove, in this foreign country, we have no one else to rely on but ourselves... Now if only I can convince my parents to migrate over here...

No comments:

Post a Comment