Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 22, 2010

Potty training Lucas

My new books have not arrived yet and Fred is hogging the TV watching the Winter Olympics, so I am going to write about Lucas' potty training (or lack of...)

A few months back we tried to let Lucas runaround the apartment bottomless, but my MIL insists that its too cold for us to do that even though the apartment is heated constantly at 20 degrees. So my 2nd best option was to take away diapers and put on his pants sans diapers. We have taught Lucas that if he wants to do the deed he has to tell either one of us. He has caught on pretty quickly. He knows he SHOULD go to the potty. But knowing something doesn't mean he's actually going to do it.
Up til recently he would still sit on the potty, with his clothes on. But the past 2 weeks, he has regressed. He tells me "pee pee" and he points to the "potty" , the same with "kaka" he also points to "potty". But when he needs to do the deed, he tells me "kaka" but refuses to sit on the potty, prefering to "kaka" standing up in a corner (by the time he tells me "kaka" he either has done it in his diapers or if he hasn't, I take off his diapers and bring him to the potty where he breaks free and runs away elsewhere to do the deed). As for his "pee pee" he doesn't tell us when he is diaper free, he just pees and then calls me to clean up. When he has his diaper he cleverly tells me "pee pee in potty".

Today after his shower he told me he wanted to "kaka" but he struggled so much when I tried to sit him on the potty I decided to put his diaper on him. Even then he was screaming and struggling and didn't want his diaper on. In the end, I had to clean shit off the floor.

I feel I have to start his potty training all over again somehow. I try to make him sit on the potty and give him a book to read or switch on Barney but its not working. Fred & I let him see us in the toilet, but Lucas is still resistant.

Do you have any potty training tips for me? How do I get Lucas to sit on the potty? Should he be going bottomless again, as a start?

1 comment:

  1. The best time to go bottomless is of course summer, and especially during beach-time! But when the training falls during the cold season (I, too am in the midst of training no. 2!) then it's a different story. I think there is no sure method for success. Us parents will just have to be patient and persist. Always ask him (can be 100 times a day) whether he wants to go pee pee or kaka. Mine, sometimes, seems to be asking me this before there is any 'deposit' in his diaper. I will then quickly rush him to the toilet and make straining 'sounds' and pushing mildly on his stomach and placing my hand on the small of his back to indicate where the 'action' should be. He will then repeat the sound effect ;). Of course, nothing results from it, but I think at least, he gets a little idea. After awhile he gets fed up anyway and wants to come down from the toilet. It's a bummer and can last several months, but we just have to repeat the process a million times until that first important deed is done and he SEES it himself! Good luck to the 2 boys and mom ;)!

    ReplyDelete