Lucas' Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, March 12, 2010

Lucas at 29 months

After 2 weeks of not watching The Mentalist, I am about to go stir crazy. Every Wednesday night I look forward to tuning onto TF1 for The Mentalist, in English; after which comes CSI - Manhattan, also in English. The past 2 Wednesdays, The Mentalist was shelved for football instead. Which made Fred happy. Though he does feel bad for me...

The past couple of weeks, Lucas has been extremely cooperative when it comes to sleeping time. But I've found out that the trick is to keep him up slightly later, and then poor Lucas will be too tired to argue (actually he screams and cries til he falls asleep)
For the past one week tho' Lucas has been telling us that its time to "do-do" when its sleeping time (830pm instead of the usual 8 pm)! He actually says "do-do" and then walks to his cot himself, when we tuck him in bed, he says " night night" and "see you" and that's it. Not a peep from him after. When I check in on him 10 minutes later he is fast asleep.

He is starting this routine for his afternoon nap as well - he has been telling us "do-do" around 1 pm and then he walks to his room himself and waits to be tucked in :)

As Lucas turns 29 months, he navigates the staircase himself, going up and down and when we get to the car park, he has learnt to wait for me to open the door to the car and climbs up into the car. He also learnt to follow me from the car to the entrance of the building, waits for me to unlock the door and climbs up the stairs himself.

Fred & I also decided that even though Lucas kicks up such a huge fuss everytime we bring him grocery shopping, he has to get used to it and we have brought him with us twice so far. The first time, he sat on the trolley for 5 minutes then demanded to get out - and Fred made the mistake of taking him out and Lucas refused to get back into the trolley after. The 2nd time, yesterday when Lucas demanded to get out I refused. He screamed. I just kept going. And he quietened down after I gave him his box of Nesquik to hold. After that he was pretty OK, and we managed to get our shopping done.

At this age, Lucas is a master manipulator when it comes to trying to get what he wants. If screaming and crying don't work, he switches tactics and says "please". When that doesn't work (usually with papa, it works cos he looks so adorable...) he starts throwing things including his "lovey" after which he will quiet down and ask for his "lovey" back. He says sorry by coming to either one of us and says "big hug" while giving us hugs.


At 29 months, Lucas has also started reading back his flash cards to me. He will actually ask for the cards by saying "cards" and then he names each card as I flip. Lucas has mastered his numbers from 1- 10, and is learning to say numbers 11 - 20.

He still hates brushing his teeth, so I have to tickle him to get him to open his mouth. He hasn't made any deposit in the potty since the last time, still telling me "ka-ka" AFTER he does the deed instead of before.
Lucas still refuses to eat his fruits and veggies, though I now try to mix his morning milk with pureed fruits - some days he takes it, some days like today its a no-no.

I am trying to teach Lucas to "wait". This morning we went to McDonalds behind our apartment for the playgym - Lucas loves going there. Unfortunately it was still early and we had a half hour wait before it opened, so I walked Lucas back home. Needless to say he was upset and was screaming murder when we got to the apartment. I kept telling him McD's was not open (it was also too cold to wait as it was -1 degree) and we will wait at home for 30 minutes. He refused to get into the apartment and I had to drag him in. After he calmed down I tried to explain why we had to come home first. I am not sure if he understands but Fred says Lucas understands more that we think... When it was time to go back to McD's again, he was cooperative and when we had to wait for the play area to open, Lucas was fine and ate his breaky sitting down at the table with me - a first, as he hates to sit and eat when he has other fun things to do.


3 comments:

  1. For Ethan I had to go through a full six months where he tested his limits on how far (read naughty) he can go. At the moment has Luc tried the lying on the floor bit while going around in a circle? If not then you are lucky... Imagine him doing it while shopping... All the other shoppers will give you the "look"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a TV ad where the kid is in a shopping mall throwing a mother of a tantrum - lying on the floor the whole bit and his mom reacted by throwing a bigger tantrum. The kid was so astonished at his mom, he stopped his tanty immediately! I tried it on Lucas - it worked... for the first couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and it doesn't really bother me when other people in the shopping malls give me "looks" - they'll understand soon enough when they have their own kids...

    ReplyDelete